illustration of the sebaceous glandKnow Your Skin Cells: V. The Sebocyte

By Gopinathan K. Menon

Sebocytes are cells that constitute the sebaceous (oil) glands, which gain access to the surface of the skin through the opening of the pilosebaceous units. They are found throughout the body surface, except the palms and sole of feet. Their number remains the same throughout life, but their size and activity changes during life, depending on age and hormonal status. In fact, increased sebum excretion is a major factor in the pathophysiology of acne.

UV image of a womanUV Photographic Imaging – Sunscreens and Skin

By Jonathan Crowther

Ultraviolet (UV) light constitutes about 5% of terrestrial sunlight, with about 80% of the most harmful effects being attributed to the shorter wavelength UVB and the remaining 20% to UVA. Excessive exposure of the skin to UV light is linked with premature skin aging (UVA with wavelengths between 315 nm and 400 nm) as well as sun burn and increased risk of skin cancer (UVB, between 280 nm and 315 nm). As such, formulating efficacious and protective sunscreen products is vital for both the consumer and pharmaceutical markets. It is essential that during the development of sunscreen formulations we have suitable methods to determine the amount of coverage of a sunscreen film after its application to skin. In this article, we discuss some of the caveats of conventional UV photography as well as new advances in this area for evaluating the application of sunscreen formulations to skin.
























Molecule of the Week

structure of phycocyanin













e-mail insignia

Subscribe to The Cosmetic Chemist Newsletter



facebook icon linked-in icon twitter icon Google plus icon

Connect With Us